Saturday, October 4, 2008

I noticed that someone googled 'dixie lily grits' to find my page, so I thought that a follow-up was necessary as a public service to those also seeking decent grits. The long and short of it is that no, Publix in Florida no longer carries them (why, Publix, why?). You can buy them online if need be. But by a stroke of luck, an Indiana mill was at the farmer's market one week with both yellow and white corn grits in a functional two-pound paper sack, and I stocked up for the year. It's a coarser grind than Dixie Lily, and you have to cook it for about 15 minutes, but the result is nice and creamy.

So if you have to mail order, I recommend Wib's Stone Ground Grain of Odon, Indiana. They didn't put their phone number on their bags, which seems like bad planning. I'll see if I can dig it up for you. Their mailing address is 11645E. 1625 N., Odon IN 47562.

Update: Last time I went back to Florida (Dec 2008), I did find decent slow-cook grits at the Winn Dixie (of course! Why didn't I think of them earlier?). Not Dixie Lily, but a fine substitute, Dixie Mills. So if you're in FL, go to Winn Dixie and they'll hook you up.

No comments: