Saturday, June 27, 2009

Okay, this post has very little to do with art or jewelry making, but here's the tie-in: every second Saturday I do an art show at the Bloomington farmer's market. No show today, but I went to the farmer's market anyway (as I do religiously during the season). That's all, that's the tie-in. Now I will talk about produce.

The farmer's market induces in me a sort of mania. I go to the market and find myself salivating and circling like a starving shark. However much money I have on me, I spend. I have developed a market shopping strategy that has the down side of causing me to wander around the market much longer than strictly necessary but results in me buying the best available versions of my top-priority items: first I wander around to see what's available, then I decide what are the must-haves and which are would-likes. Then I go back around and buy the best version of the must-haves, then do another circuit to pick up some lower priority items. Then I count my money, and do another round if possible. I always end up with some regrets at things not purchased; in particular, items that are plentiful and just coming into season will lose out to more ephemeral veggies. And I always seem to regret not buying more tomatoes.

This week, I scored corn (first corn of the season! It wasn't there last week), blueberries, peaches, a small cabbage, an onion, and some tomatoes. Regretfully passed on the fresh basil, black raspberries, blackberries, fresh currants (probably should have gotten those, I don't see them very often), and those tiny purple and white striped eggplants. There will be time for eggplants later, I reasoned. Eggplant is only beginning to come into its own.

Oh, and just a note about a peculiar phenomena puzzling to those new to the Bloomington market: you will notice a very long line for one vendor, and will wonder, "why are all these people standing in line in the hot sun?". The answer is: corn. The next question will be, "is the corn really THAT good?" The answer is: yes. Now get in the line. Seriously. It took me a couple of years to work up the curiousity to stand in line and see what all the fuss was about; now I won't buy my corn anywhere else, and somewhat regret those wasted years of second-best corn.

Ok, I suppose I've illustrated my summer produce mania all too well.... My next art show at the market is July 11, so come on out and make sure to get there with plenty of time to stand in the corn line!

1 comment:

Ginger and James said...

I do nearly the same thing! Need to look around, compare quality and price and quantity, then choose. We have fewer vendors here, though, but some items are already plentiful (peaches!!). I miss the B-ton market!