Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I've been trying to make myself do more 2d work-- Although I used to do 2d calligraphy all the time, my focus on jewelry has made me lose some flexibility in this respect-- I got used to a very small format that allowed only a small amount of text within a very small space, leading to a very constrained set of layout possibilities.

I refuse to let my skills atrophy! I'm moving up slowly, size-wise-- I've done some ACEOs (2.5x3.5 inches), and this piece is about 5.5 x 6. It's irregularly shaped because I had been planning to cut it up and turn it into jewelry, but when it came out of the dye vat I decided that it could make a nice composition as-is. Well, with the addition of some text. The quote is from Jack London. The irregular shape actually looks kinda nifty when put against a black background in a float frame.




No comments: