Sunday, May 25, 2008

I've been working on these for a friend of ours, a philosopher who runs in the same philosopher gang as my husband. He requested two pairs of earrings, one with 'philo' and 'sophia' (philo= love, and sophia= wisdom, so love of wisdom = philosophy), and the other with 'techne' and episteme' (episteme= scientific or philosophical knowledge, and techne= craft, art, practical knowledge-- the pair known more commonly as theory vs. practice. Here's an explanation, courtesy of Stanford). It proved to be a bit tricky since I have never studied Greek, let alone Greek letterforms, but I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out! I should definitely start doing more with different languages and scripts. I've been wanting to for a while (ever since I started making my jewelry, in fact), but for various reasons haven't, really. Yet. I do have a pair of amani/imani earrings ready to go, but more on that later....

techne and episteme

philo and sophia

No comments: