Thursday, May 22, 2008

Sometimes people wonder how I come up with all the interesting words and phrases I put on my jewelry. "How do you think of these things, Joanna?", they ask. Well, I'll tell you.

I have a journal, and late at night (and also while on walks or while sitting out on the deck sipping iced tea), I brainstorm and write things down (yes, this means that I get to count sitting out on the deck sipping iced tea as a sort of work). A few good bits result. Plus a lot of not good bits. Fortunately, I have the ability to tell the difference, for the most part.

Sometimes what I get is just funny (especially the ones I write down just as I'm falling asleep, which seemed perfectly good at the time but which, upon waking, clearly will not do. For example, in my journal I have written the following:

" 'a banana ate me,' she said, 'when I was young.' "
"fluffy-headed juggernaut"
"But who can only speak of the flowering trees and the absent toads"

So yes, editorial skills are a big part of what makes it all work.

No comments: