Monday, September 1, 2008

When I was in my late teens/ early 20s, I worked at a used bookstore that belonged to a friend’s mom. I worked for books. I would help shelve things and organize things, and I often got first dibs on lots she got from estate sales and so on. I made a lot of excellent random discoveries. It was a good deal, working for books.

One of the books I got then was Richard Brautigan's In Watermelon Sugar. It became one of my favorites. Every few years I have to reread it. I just reread it over the last couple of days, and yeah, it's still one of my favorites. When I read something I like, I begin to write like the author, at least sentence-structure wise. It lasts a day or so, until the post-reading glow disappears. That is why I'm writing in these weird short sentences now. I just finished the book last night.

One of these days, I would like to read another of his books.

No comments: