Saturday, February 23, 2008

ACEOs

So the other day, I got lured into reading this loooonnnggg thread in the Etsy forums about ACEOs. Those are "Artist Card Editions and Originals"-- little artworks 2.5 x 3.5 inches. People collect them and trade them; you can keep them in albums to show off, or display them on little easels, or even just frame them. It makes affordable original art available for the vast majority of people who can't drop a few hundred dollars for a painting-- most of them cost between $5-$15, less for limited edition prints and sometimes more for very elaborate pieces.


The only rule is the measurements: everything else about them is open to negotiation, so all kinds of materials get used--wood, glass, fabric, felt, metal...or paper, of course. Lots of artists find it very freeing to try something in small format. For me, 2.5 x 3.5 seems like a large format, but still represents a chance to try something different, so I took a running leap and hopped onto the bandwagon.



This (above) is my first one! Yes, more Chekov. What can I say, I like Chekov. It was really a nice change to have so much room to work with. Plus it was a novel experience to do the calligraphy and then have the thing be done. Usually the calligraphy is at the beginning, and then I still have to spend two weeks varnishing the piece and assembling it before I can show it off.




Here's my second one. I was listening to the Saturday morning old-time music shows on our local community radio station (WFHB, here: take a listen), and one song using a little snippet of Frankie and Johnnie came on. That, together with my drip paper, resulted in this one. I got to use a different nib than just my beloved crowquill, too!



Yes, I AM quite pleased with myself. Thank you for noticing!
I have a plan to make one ACEO from each piece of paper I dye from now on.

3 comments:

Distressing Delilah a.k.a. jenn said...

Those are great for just starting!

High Desert Diva said...

Lookin' good!

One thing I've found is that since most people can't do calligraphy, they don't notice when there's a mistake (or when one needs more practice with a different nib)

I'm trying to learn to keep my calligraphy mistakes a secret....
shhhh...don't tell :-)

Janice said...

Lovely, I like that you're using text. Here's to many more.